Don’t cry me a river… Stiffle it with these little tricks.
11 different ways to stop the tears, and cut onions like a pro (tips are gathered from all over the web).
- Wear goggles; your eyes will be insulated from the sting, which can spread wherever it wants. Who cares if you look silly?
- Rinse the onion under cold water; smells are more difficult to spread in cold. Some people chop onions directly under cold water.
- Cut the onion in half, then dip it briefly in salt water or lemon water.
- Open your windows; create an air flow. An alternative is to place it under the range hood when peeling.
- Place a piece of bread on the tip of your knife!
- Wedge a match between your teeth; the red tip outside your mouth, and change it every 30 seconds.
- Rub the blade of your knife with lemon juice or bread.
- Place your onions in the refrigerator 15 minutes before peeling.
- Chew parsley; when you peel the onions you’ll disable the sulfates which will make you cry less.
- Or, just buy frozen onions (already peeled).
Pick up a stainless steel soap bar (#ad). It removes unwanted smells, like onions or fish odor from your hands. Use it like a bar of soap, rub it on your hands, soak your hands in water. You’ll remove onions forever!